4.17.2011

RD OKC!

What is this RD that I speak of?  As if you didn't know.  You probably don't know.  Ok, I will tell you.  It is Roller Derby.  That's right, Roller Derby Oklahoma City.  And it is balls awesome. (sorry mom, but it is).  These girls have cajones, arhidia, huevos, The Bush Twins.  And they pack them in thier panties.  (Mom, maybe you should just skip this post).  Roller Derby is awesome.


Here's how it works.  Pay attention.  The panty is the helmet cover.  Only two skaters on each team will wear one.  These skaters are the Jammer and the Pivot.  Watch and learn.  The girls with the star are the Jammers. 


The Jammer starts at the back and has to get in front of the pack.  (The pack can only be 8 skaters 1 pivot and 3 blockers from each team, it may be less if one team has penalties).  Whichever Jammer passes the pack first, becomes the Lead Jammer. Once you are lead Jammer you earn points and can call off the Jam at any time.  The Pivot wears the Stripped Panty.  She sets the pace of the Jam and is the last line of defense.  Watch again.
The Blockers try to keep the opponents' Jammer from passing the pack.  They also help thier Jammer get through the pack.  Often, the Jammer will grab a team mate and slingshot herself forward.


The Bout, which is what they call a game, lasts two 30 minute periods.  Jams last no longer than 2 minutes each.  The game is intense and they must get so tired.  Watching these women skate...  They were amazing.  They won both games by a lot.  I think that they get a lot of energy from thier fans, you can hear them in the videos.  I really got into cheering.  My favorite was the Anomellie cheer and "I'm blind, I'm deaf I wanna be a ref".




No comments:

Post a Comment

New York

New York
I came home to you!