4.10.2011

First Day of School

Granted, that was last Monday.  It is now Sunday.  I have been a very poor blogger.  In my defense, I am a very poor blogger.  You should have known that coming in to this.  I apologize if I led you to believe otherwise.  Now that we are straight, may I continue?

Thank you.

Do you remember that feeling?  I mean the first day of school excitement.  It is different than first kiss excitement, first relationship excitement, even first job excitement.  I always loved the first day of school.  Obviously, when you are a kid, after the first day it is all down hill from there.  But with my school, every day has been better than the day before.  The first day, was amazing.  (the comma is a pause for effect, don't get all grammar ghetto on my a**.)

I will try to relay to you just how amazing.

My chef (and teacher)'s name is Haley.  She is very sweet.  She knows a ridiculous amount of information about nutrition and raw food.  I am so impressed by her.  And she was classically trained and has worked in cooked restaurants, so now the rest of you can be impressed.  She is a great chef.

The Academy
The school is connected to the restaurant:  105 Degrees.  It is a raw food restaurant.  We will get into why raw in another post.  This post already has far too many words and not enough pictures.

The atmosphere is light, cool and clean.  They pump energizing music all day.  Two walls of the restaurant/school are all glass.  It is amazing in the morning.  Beats sitting in a dark control room staring at monitors all day.   Also, it smells amazing.

My work area
My work station has a small fridge and shelves for storage.  I am at station 4.  Each morning we learn some produce of the day.  Fact: swiss chard is a beet.  You did not know that.  Now you do.  We are both learning.

I keep some tea and tupperware in my cubby.  We are allowed to take home leftovers from the recipes we make.  I have made some damn fine food my friends.
Spice Rack
I also keep a hot liquids cup and a water jug underneath.
                                                                                            I leave school feeling light and happy.  My entire day consists of learning.  I am learning stuff that I care about.  I didn't do too much of that in college.   It is slow here too.  Not so rush rush like in New York City.

The only downside to my being here is that my allergies, the allergies I don't have, have been acting up like crazy. The plains are very grassy.  My sinuses do not like that.                      
My Knife Set

Kombucha




































Fun fact: When the tornado siren goes off for about 5 minutes straight on a Saturday around noon, it has nothing to do with the huge tornado that whipped through Iowa.  It is just a test and only a test.  Next Saturday I will not panic.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York

New York
I came home to you!