1.05.2012

This is for William

This is a Holiday Pear Butter.

I know the holidays are over, but the spices in this butter are fun all winter long.  Also, this was supposed to be posted like 70 years ago and I forgot to post it.  (Yipes, you can learn so much about me by reading my scattered blog can't you)?



I hope this is an exciting enough recipe.  If, not let me know and I will post a cooler one for you.

I adapted this recipe from a recipe in the book Tart and Sweet.

You need 4lbs of pears.  Mine were rock hard.  I don't think yours need to be.  They can be soft and ripe.   You can peel them if you'd like, but you don't have to.  Core and chop them.  add them to a pot with a cup of water and the juice of one half or one whole lemon and 1/2 cup of sugar.  I used sucanat.  If the pears are good and ripe, you don't need the water.  

Add 2 thumb sized pieces of ginger, peeled and chopped.  Add 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 cardamom pods, 7 clove buds and about a 1/4 - 1/2tsp of freshly grated nutmeg.   (You can put all your spices into a spice bag to make them easier to fish out once everything is cooked.  I didn't do that, but it did take me a while to get all of my spices fished out). 

Simmer on med heat until pears break down.  I use a potato masher to help them break down.  You will want to help them if you have unripe pears.  After your pears are good and mush (45-60min) blend them in batches in a blender. (Hot foods in a blender will explode, so be careful to do small batches or let them cool before blending). 

Once all is blended, transfer back to your pot and simmer for another 20 mins or until butter sets.  Test for a set on a chilled spoon or plate.  Transfer to jars and boil in a hot water bath to seal.  Or transfer to jars and give away to all your friends.

It is delicious.  Especially in yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New York

New York
I came home to you!