6.17.2011

Compost and Herbs!

Aren't you excited?   I started this years herb garden.  I am excited.  This year I am doing Oregano, Thyme, Shiso, Rosemary, Basil, Chives and Peppermint and Aloe.  (The Aloe is a couple years old.)  I just transplanted a few yesterday, so we will see how they take.  The peppermint had ants, lots of them.  I do this a lot, where I get a plant home and THEN realize it has bugs.  I always forget to look when I buy.  Anywho, I asked my mom what I should do and she said I would have to throw it out.  Otherwise I would have an apartment full of ants.  But I didn't take "wasn't optimistic it could be done" for an answer.  So, I drowned them.  I filled a bucket full of water and stuck the plant inside.  I will let you know how it does.  I haven't seen any ants since the massacre.








Also, this summer we have decided to compost.  I am damn excited about it.  Since we live in a tiny apartment, that means we will be freezing all our scraps and then once a week dropping them off at the farmer's market.  I am hoping to start weighing our compost, to see just how much waste we are avoiding by turning it into soil.   This is very exciting to me.  I want to start a composting company here in Brooklyn.  This one is in Manhattan near the East River.  I hope to get more involved in another month or so.  Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

New York

New York
I came home to you!